Thursday, November 06, 2008

Steamed Leather Jacket in Hot Bean Paste

I found this paste being sold at the supermarket recently and used this to perpare a steamed fish dish. It is really convenient to use this as I just needed to get a fresh fish , put in 2 tbsp of oil, some sliced ginger pieces and added a quarter cup water to dilute the paste before pouring the paste onto the fish. I let the fish marinade in the paste for about an hour before popping the dish into the microwave oven to be steamed. For the fish, I used Leather Jacket cos the fish is meaty and smooth and has minimum bones.




Here's a pic of the fish. It is an ugly fish but the meat is very suitable for steaming. Usually it's sold in the supermarket with the head chopped off.


7 comments:

Family First said...

Its indeed an ugly fish but has a very "handsome"name ..dont you think .. hehehe.

Gina Choong said...

cecily, sometimes I had it pan fried by marinating it with fish sauce and a bit of cornstarch. hubby loved it this way too.

Edith said...

This fish was first introduced by my MIL. I usually panfried it. Thanks for the steaming idea. Will try it next time.

Chawanmushi said...

Hi everyone ...

family first
LOL ...I think the name is really a mouthful :-)

gina
thanks for the suggestion :-)

Edith
You're welcome :-)

Anonymous said...

This is the first time I have seen a jacket fish with its head intact..ha ha...did you cook the head as well - how does it taste like?
Jacket fish is one of my favourite fish dishes as its bone are usually bigger and meat is tender - my hubby and kids only eat this this type..my usual way of cooking is like Gina's - pan fried before sauteed with mushroom slices/leek/ginger.

Chawanmushi said...

hi anonymous
The fish I bought from the supermarket was headless LOL
The complete fish pic was taken from the internet :-)

Motorcycle Leather Jacket said...

First time heard about steamed leather jacket and you have posted very nice stuff about steamed leather jacket. Really appreciate this.