Saturday, March 24, 2007

Mango Chiffon

Here's another one of my chiffon cakes adventure. This chiffon has the lovely aroma of mango and it is also pretty soft and moist. Taste wise it is for one who loves the taste of mangoes, sweet and tangy at the same time.


Ingredients:
(A)
4 nos. large eggs yolks
1 tsp Mango essence

(B)
80 mls Corn oil

80 mls UHT Milk
80 gms Mango puree

(C)
110 gm Top flour
1 tsp baking powder

(D)
4 nos. large egg whites
100 gm C aster sugar
1/2 tsp Cream of tartar

Method:

Pre-heat oven at 170 degree C.

Separate egg yolks from whites.

Use a fork and beat up (A) till well mix.

Mixt all ingredients in (B) till well blended.

In a mixer bowl beat up (D) till stiff peak forms (i.e. when bowl is inverted the beaten egg whites remain inside).

Add in (A) into the mixer bowl and mix well, then add in (B) and also stir well.

Add in (C) and fold in gently till well blended.

Pour batter into a 20 cm. chiffon cake pan.

Bang the pan on a hard surface to release the bubbles.

Bake for 35-40 mins.

When the cake is ready, remove from the oven and give it a bang on a hard surface.

Then invert the pan and cool the cake.

When the cake is completely cool, remove cake from the pan using a very sharp paring knife.












14 comments:

karlsfoodie said...

wow. i gonna try this =)

Chawanmushi said...

Hi karlsfoodie
Yes, do try this :-)

Anonymous said...

Can u pls advise which brand of mango essence is nice? The one I saw at the bake shop that I go to often is pretty yukky! I like strong flavours so it is not good for me without the essence lor. Tks.

Chawanmushi said...

Hi vb
I used the konnyaku mango flavouring from Red Man.

hth

Anonymous said...

Konnyaku?? Is that the jelly thing??? Sorry but I blur one coz new to baking....so I buy the jelly mix???? I don't hv Red Man brand here leh....but they hv konnyaku jelly. How?? Pls advise. I am dying to mk the mango chiffon.

Chawanmushi said...

Hi vb
Konnyaku mango flavouring is an essence just like the vanilla essence bottle. It's not the konnyaku jelly. If you can't get this, maybe you'll like to try doing the chiffon without the flavouring and use mango juice as the liquid substitute? If not maybe you try using another brand of mango flavouring.

hth

Chawanmushi said...

Vb ....you can use 80 mls of mango juice instead of the 80 mls of UHT milk. Try doing this and see if you can get a stronger mango flavour in the chiffon.

hth

Anonymous said...

Hi there!!

Loves yr blog to bits, have been a reading it daily!!

Wld like to chk whether can I use cake flour instead of top flour?

and wat is UHT milk

Hope to hear from u soon

Thanx!!
Cheers
Philia

Chawanmushi said...

Hi Philia
Thanks for visiting :-)
You may use cake flour. As for UHT milk ...it's pasteurised milk. You may use fresh milk too.

Anonymous said...

Hi there

Thanx!! I will try making it tonite!!

Cheers
Philia

sweet-tooth said...

Yum! I love mango!
I shall try this soon!
:D

Anonymous said...

Hi, I love Mango! However, may I now if it is a must to use tartar? also, Mango puree - where can I obtain that?

Thanks!
Shirley

Chawanmushi said...

Hi Shirley
You need to use the tartar because it is used hold the egg whites up.
Mango puree can be obtained from Phoon Huat if you are in Singapore.
Otherwise you may want to use fresh mangoes and puree them in a blender. hth

aisha said...

Hi, great recipe, I tried it recently. Thanks!