Friday, January 05, 2007

Mui Choy Pork Belly Stew

My dear friend B suggested to me to cook this dish cos' this dish can be kept frozen for a long time. Since it's a stew, the dish will become more tasty overtime. I searched through the internet as well as the websites that I frequent and finally came upon this blog called pablopabla. From the write up about Mui Choy pork in this blog and also the tips given by my friend B, I came up with this recipe. Here's sharing it with you....


Ingredients:

1 packet (300 gm) sweet Mei Chai, soaked for an hour, washed and water wringed out and then shredded.
1 packet (300 gm) salted Mei Chai, processed same as above.
500 gm pork belly, skin removed and cut into small pieces after washing with salt.
2 whole garlic, chopped.
2 tbsp cooking oil.
3 cups warm water

Marinade the pork pieces with ....(for about an hour)
2 tbsp chinese wine
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tbsp dark soya sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar

Method:

Fry chopped garlic in 2 tbsp of hot oil till fragrant.

Add in the marinaded pork slices and fry for about 3 minutes.

Add in the 2 kinds of Mei Chai vegetables and mix well.

Add in the 3 cups of water or till the ingredients are just below water and let the ingredients simmer for about 2 hours, covered.

Do open the cover and stir the ingredients once in a while.

Once the ingredients have softened, you may want to adjust the taste with either sugar or salt or both to your liking.

3 comments:

rhei said...

Hey there!
The dish looks YUMMY!
I've always wanted to try it but thought processing the mei chai would be troublesome.
Got a question though... where can you buy the two types of mei chai...? I work like all morning through evening so the supermart's my best friend...

Chawanmushi said...

Hi rhei
I bought the two types of mei chai from the supermarkets ... Fairprice and Giant.They are from the dry goods section. I just washed them and soaked them for about an hour an then washed whatever dirt off. hth

rhei said...

Thank you so much!
Can't wait to try it out! :D