Thursday, November 02, 2006

My favourite Beef Stew ....chinese style.

I suppose when I cook this dish using this recipe eight out of ten times, I could say that it has become my favourite. It's adapted from the Pregnancy & Confinement Cookbook by Ng Siong Mui. This book is actually my favourite cookbook bought during the time when I had my dd. I am cooking quite a number of recipes here up until this very day.


Ingredients:
500 gm beef flank
2 potatoes, wedged
2 tomatoes, wedged
1 carrot, wedged
1 spanish/yellow onion, quartered

Marinade for beef: (one hour)
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp light soya sauce
1 tsp dark soya sauce
2 tbsp corn flour
2 tbsp oil

Method:
Heat up 3 tbsp of oil. Add in carrots and onions and fry for about a minute.

Add in the marinaded beef and fry for about 3 minutes.

Pour in about 800 mls of water and bring contents to boil.

Add in the tomatoes and potatoes and continue to cook for about half an hour.

Check for meat tenderness and add seasoning to taste.

(Sometimes to vary the taste, I'll add about 2 tbsp of either rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar. This will make the dish a little more tangy than usual).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this recipe. May I know where can I buy this book?

Chawanmushi said...

I bought mine from MPH but you can try any good book stores too.

Jun said...

hi there,

I've tried your beef stew recipe and its awesome. Just wondering if the same recipe works for chicken as well?

Chawanmushi said...

Hi jun ee
I'm glad you liked it. Recipe can also use for chicken although I've not used it before.I have another chicken stew recipe in the blog which I always use ;-)Do check it out.