Friday, November 17, 2006

Zizzer-Zazzer Zu's Rainbow Steamed Cake

Finally I managed to sum up enough courage to attempt this recipe which I found in Zu's blog. This was because , after two bouts of making cheesecakes I had enough egg whites from 8 eggs to do this. I have no regrets cos it turned out to be a wonderfully smooth and soft cake. However, I did wish that I had taken more pains to do the layering a little thinner to achieve the "kueh lapis" effect. I halved the recipe cos I was using a 6 inch heart shape cake pan and there was still enough to make about ten "chew kueh" size ones.
Thanks to Zu for sharing this recipe cos now I know what I can do with my left-over egg whites.


Click HERE for the Original Rainbow Sponge Cake Recipe.

6 comments:

Edith said...

Your little princess is right, looks great. Unfortunately I still haven't got the guts to attempt this. Great job.

Chawanmushi said...

Edith, thanks for dropping by. I was apprehensive at first but discovered that the batter was thick enough and so won't sort of "dissolve" into the next layer. Do have a go at it and you won't regret it.

Unknown said...

Hi would you please give me the recipe of "Zizzer-Zazzer Zu's Rainbow Steamed Cake" i just cant find it so can you please send me the recipe... thanks alot!

Chawanmushi said...

Hi shilpika ...
I've linked it in the write up.
You just need to click the word ...
HERE under the pics.

Unknown said...

Hi...how do you steam a cake??

Chawanmushi said...

shilpika
The Asian way of steaming is to use a wok and a wok cover. If you don't have one, you can use a pot that's big enough to hold your cake container and a pot cover.
What I did was to fill half the wok with water and place a metal stand for the cake container to sit on. I boiled the water in the wok covered and when the water boiled I placed the container with the batter and covered it with a piece of aluminium foil before placing the wok cover over. In this way I steamed the cake for about half an hour or more depending on the size of your cake.

hth