Sunday, August 31, 2008

Mascarpone Cheese Pound Cake

What can I do with my reconstituted frozen Mascarpone cheese? It would really be such a waste to have to throw it away as I can't possibly use it to make my tiramisu. I searched the net desperately for a recipe that made use of mascarpone cheese to bake a cake. There were not many but I did happen to chance upon one which I adapted it to make the cake you see here.

I also sprinkled some mozzarella cheese on top before baking and found that the cheese gave the cake top a rather crispy texture when the cake was eaten warm. However when I kept the cake in the refrigerator and microwaved it before eating , the cheese top became chewy. At a friend's suggestion I put the piece of cake for about a minute in the oven toaster after microwaving it for about 30 secs. This way gave the cake a crispy top as good as the day I baked it.
The cheese gave the cake a rather moist texture and it is also quite dense with the aroma of the cheese flavour. It definitely will go down well with a hot cup of lemon tea :-)



Ingredients:

250 g unsalted butter, soften
150 g raw sugar
50 g caster sugar
450 g mascarpone cheese
3 nos. egg, beaten
2 tbsp Irish Cream Bailey's
300 g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
a handful of mozzarella cheese


Method:

Cream butter and sugar together till light pale in color and fluffy.

Add in the eggs, Bailey's , flour, baking powder and cheese in three portions and stir till well blended.

Pour batter into a lined 9" round pan and sprinkle some mozzarella cheese on the top.

Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degree C for about 50-60 minutes or till skewer comes out clean.

Remove cake from pan and cool on a wire rack.

Cool completely before storing in an air-tight container.



3 comments:

Rei said...

Looks lovely. If the cake is warmed in the oven instead, would it be more crisp?

Chawanmushi said...

Hi rei
Mmmm...yes, I believe that you are right! Thanks for the suggestion
:-)

Family First said...

I like cheesy stuff, so thanks for sharing this easy recipe. So far I have only made no-bake cheese cakes so will give this one a try someday.