Thursday, January 11, 2007

Hot Cocoa Chiffon

Looks like by now, if you're reading this, you will know that I'm on a baking Chiffon cakes craze LOL. Anyway, still using the basic Pandan Chiffon recipe that I followed I decided to experiment with hot cocoa and the result is the chiffon you see here.

Since it's a kind of chocolate chiffon, the usual way would be to add a little chocolate emulco to give it a nice fragrance. However I cannot do so cos' my ds A dislikes the choco emulco smell and said that whenever I used it on the cakes and he smells it, he gets a headache. Just wondering if anyone has this experience too? So I just tried out to see if I added coffee emulco, he would give me the same complain. This guy drinks coffee so, I see no reason for him to tell me that he will get a headache eating the cake. When I offered him a piece, he turned it down :-( Looks like all four children in the house dislike emulco in their cakes. The only kind of paste they can accept is the pandan paste. What a strange phenomenon!

In the end only dh and I finished eating the cake. I would bake this again without the emulco.


Ingredients:

(A) 4 nos. large eggs yolks
1/4 tsp salt
(If you like a hint of fragrant coffee emulco you may add
1/2 tsp emulco here and mix well with the egg yolks.)
(On the other hand, you may want to add 1 tbsp of Irish Creme Bailey.)

(B) 85 mls sunflower/corn oil
125 mls hot cocoa chocolate (add 1 tbsp cocoa to 125 mls. warm
UHT milk plus 2 tsp sugar and stir till blended)

(C) 150 gm cake flour
1 tsp baking powder

(D) 4 nos. large egg whites
140 gm caster sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar

Method:

Pre-heat oven at 170 degree C.

Separate egg yolks from whites.

Use a fork and beat up (A) till well mix.

In a mixer bowl beat up (D) till stiff peak forms (i.e. when bowl is inverted the beaten egg whites remain inside).

Add in (A) into the mixer bowl and mix well, then add in (B) and also stir well.

Add in (C) and fold in gently till well blended.

Pour batter into a 20 cm. chiffon cake pan lined at the bottom.

Bang the pan on a hard surface to release the bubbles.

Bake for 35-40 mins.

When the cake is ready, remove from the oven and give it a bang on a hard surface.

Then invert the pan and cool the cake.

When the cake is completely cool, remove cake from the pan.

No comments: