Monday, July 02, 2007

Savoury Glutinous Rice (Chu Bee Peng)

I did this for a BBQ party and had many positive feedback for it. I used a rice cooker to steam it and this was the easy part after putting in all the ingredients together. The original recipe was obtained from one of the cooking forums which I frequent. I modified the recipe a little and doubled the amount cooked.


Ingredients:
600 gm glutinous rice, washed and soaked overnight.

8 cloves garlic, chopped.

1 cup, dried shrimps, soaked overnight and drained.

20 pieces of dried chinese mushrooms, soaked overnight and then sliced.

(Keep the mushroom water for steaming the rice later.)


For garnishing ....
1 cup of fried onions
1 cup of pan-fried peanuts
green spring onions, chopped


For seasoning the rice ...
2 tbsp light soya sauce
1/2 tbsp dark soya sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sesame oil
Pepper to taste

Method:
Heat up 3 tbsp of oil and stir fry dried shrimps and chopped garlic till fragrant.

Add in the sliced mushrooms and the drained glutinous rice and stir till well blended.

Add in the rice seasoning and mix well.

Pour all ingredients from the frying pan into the cooking pot and add the mushroom water till it covers the top of the rice.

Turn on the rice cooker as per normal.

After the rice cooker beeps, check for rice doneness by fluffing up the rice( rice should be softened).

You may need to start the rice cooker again if rice is not ready.

Once rice has softened you may scoop rice onto plate and garnish with fried onions, peanuts, chopped green onions and sliced red chillis too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Chawanmushi
Your chu bee peng looks delicious! I'm a S'porean in the USA and I'm often deprived of such goodies. I was just wondering if I can do this just by normal steaming method (cos I dun have a rice cooker). If so, do you think I still need to cover the rice with the mushroom water or do you think it will be good enough to just put the rice and toppings into the steamer and steam as per normal?
Would appreciate any advice you may have.
Thank you :-)
Tatiana

Chawanmushi said...

Hi tatiana
Thanks for visiting my blog :-)
You can steam the rice with the water covering the ingredients.The water will ensure you get soft glutinous rice.

hth:-)

Anonymous said...

hi chawanmushi
thanks for the advice and quick reply. I will try it out soon. Your blog is wonderful, I'm sure your family members have a good time tasting all your good eats! :)
Tatiana

Anonymous said...

Hi Chawanmushi
Juz wanted to say thanks for this very easy-to-do dish. I tried it last night and it was delicious. I added in some lup cheong, together with dried mushrooms and dried shrimp and steamed it for 30 minutes. Fantastic; it curbed my craving and now even though I'm so far away from S'pore, I can make it anytime I want.
Thanks again! :-)
Tatiana

Chawanmushi said...

Hi tatiana
I'm glad you liked it :-)

Anonymous said...

I tried your recipe but with a twist, I added sausages. It was delicious. Thank you for the recipe.